txservice.org is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Social Security Card

A Social Security Number is used as an identifier for individuals in the United States. This unique nine-digit code is only issued to U.S. citizens, residents and temporary working residents in the country, and can be used to file taxes, fill out job applications, open bank accounts and much more. The Social Security Administration, which is part of the federal government, is in charge of issuing both a Social Security Number and a Social Security card to qualified individuals.

How to Apply for a Social Security Card

The Social Security Administration allows United States citizens or legal residents to request a Social Security card either in person or by mail. The method you choose is entirely up to you, depending on which you find is most convenient. First, you will need to make sure you have collected all required documents, as well as completed an Application for a Social Security Card. Then, you will need to present these items to a Social Security Administration representative at a local office or by mail.

In order to find a location in your area, visit the Social Security Office Locator webpage. Enter your ZIP code to see a full list of available branches near you. If your preferred option is to submit your application via mail, then simply send your information to a regional office. For further assistance, you can also directly speak to a Social Security Administration official by calling the toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213.

Required Documents to Get a Social Security Card

If you are a Texas resident, the process to apply for a Social Security card is rather simple, as long as you have gathered the appropriate documents and filled out the Application for a Social Security Card. The type of documentation you will be required to present depends on your current legal status in the country.

For example, country-born United States citizens are required to show proof of their citizenship, in the form of a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport. If you were born in a different country, you will need to present one of these:

For those who are permanent residents of the U.S., acceptable documents include a Form I-551 with your unexpired passport, an I-766 Employment Authorization Document of a I-94 Arrival/Departure Record.

In addition to proof of citizenship or residency, an applicant must also be ready to present these items:

Updating the Information on Your Social Security Card

In the event that you recently got married or divorced, and need to change the name on your Social Security Card, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration at your earliest convenience. You must also replace a Social Security Card if you need to correct any information, such as your date of birth or misspelling of your name. Find out more about this process by calling the toll-free line at 1-800-772-1213.