txservice.org is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Application for Sales Tax Permit and/or Use Tax Permit

If you need to apply for a sales tax permit in Texas, you can do so with the appropriate application, provided by the state’s Office of the Comptroller. The Application for Sales Tax Permit and/or Use Tax Permit can be filled out by either a sole proprietor or a business entity. The instructions will vary, depending on which one applies to you.

Sole Proprietor If you are a sole proprietor, you will need to add pertinent information on the application, including your legal name, your Social Security Number (SSN), your federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) and your current or past Texas Taxpayer Number. You must also indicate if you have, at any point, received a state vendor number or a payee number.

Business Organization If you are a partnership, you must enter the Social Security Number or Federal Employer Identification Number for each partner. For corporations, the Social Security Number of each officer must be added. Other details to make note of include the physical location of your business, as well as its North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code.

Completing the Application In order for the application to be processed in a timely manner, you will need to make sure that you date and sign the form. Failure to do so will result in the immediate rejection of your application. Once you have filled out all the necessary details, you can then either submit your application in person, or mail it to:

Comptroller of Public Accounts

111 E. 17th St.

Austin, TX 78774-0100