txservice.org is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Replace Car Registration in Texas

If your vehicle registration card, sticker or license plates have been lost, damaged or stolen, you will need to file for replacement or duplicate documents with the Texas DMV. Driving without proper registration can result in penalties during a traffic stop by a law enforcement officer. If you notice an error on your registration or you change your name or address, you must be sure to apply for updated registration. To request replacement car registration documents you must go to your local county tax office, complete an application form for duplicate registration and pay any replacement fees.

How to Replace Lost Car Registration Stickers

The procedure for replacing car registration stickers is quite straightforward and will require you to:

  • Visit your local tax assessor-collector’s office.
  • Pay a $6 replacement fee, plus the $1 automation fee (to upgrade the registration and title computer system).
  • Complete and submit Form VTR-60.

How to Replace Lost/Stolen Car Registration Card

A valid and up-to-date car registration card serves as proof that your vehicle is insured and safe for the roads. If your registration card is lost, stolen or damaged beyond the point of legibility, you need to immediately apply for a duplicate and spare yourself future troubles with traffic enforcement officers.

To do this, you will need to:

  • Go to your local tax assessor-collector’s office.
  • Complete an application for a duplicate registration.
  • Provide proof of insurance.
  • Provide valid driver’s license.
  • Pay the replacement registration fee.

Note: If your registration card has been damaged, make sure to bring it with you to the DMV and attach it to your application when requesting a duplicate.

How to Apply for Duplicate Car Registration License Plates

License plates are issued by Texas’ Department of Motor Vehicle as part of the vehicle registration process. In the event that one or both your plates are lost or damaged, go to the local tax county collector’s office and apply for a duplicate. If your license plates have been stolen, report the theft to the police as soon as possible.

Once you get there, you will be required to:

  • Fill out and submit a VTR-60 Application for Replacement License Plate(s).
  • Provide valid TX driver’s license or state identification card.
  • Pay the $6 duplicate license plate fee (for most vehicles), plus a $1 automation fee (used for computer upgrades to the registration and titling system).

Contact the Texas Department of Transportation at 1-800 -777-0133 if your replacement registration card, stickers or plates have not been delivered within eight weeks of the submission date.

How to Get a Copy of Your Registration Receipt

Driving without your registration receipt can also put you at risk of incurring various penalties and fees, so if it has been lost or damaged, make sure to:

  • Visit your local Texas DMV Regional Service Center or county tax office.
  • Fill out the VTR-275 Form.

Note: If you are certain that any of the above mentioned registration items were stolen, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement agency and file a police report.